Friday, November 20, 2009

What is love?

So... earlier this week - the woman that I'm dating said "I love you..."

Shortly after she said that, she looked at me intently and asked my how I felt about that. I looked at her for a moment, put my arms around her and said - "I really believe you when you say that." I know a lot of people think the appropriate response to "I love you" is to say "I love you" back.

During the course of my "interviewing" many women have given me the "I love you." I have a few standard responses:
  • Thanks
  • It's okay, we're adults - it's important that we take ownership of our emotions
  • Yeah (insert belly laugh here), right!
  • Are you trying to convince you or me?
This is actually interesting. I was married for 15 years and I never really thought my ex-wife EVER meant it when she said it to me. I mean, she honestly hates me and she still wall call me "baby".

It's amazing how empty words can be sometimes, but it's an amazing thing when things click and you know somethings right.

Either way... I'm still planning on dating for 2 years. I'm not going to rush this one to marriage.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Good for you for not slutting out your 'I love you's'. You see more value in those 3 words than most people ever will.