Sunday, January 06, 2008

Bringing life... to life...


Regarding my last post, Donna said - What's the beginning, what has caused this man's frustration and expression of rage. Do you go back right now and explain or maybe you could use the rest of chapter one looking at his life in the 'now'..then go back and explain. Think about your plot and your characters will continue to come to life within the parameter of plot. You can do it!

The characters are faceless… they have no life… heshe… the abstraction of these characters to miscellaneous nameless/faceless pronouns yield themselves to a hands off approach.

I don’t have to get involved in knowing who they are – therefore, the plot will never progress.

But… what if I called him Dwane? What if I called her Jennifer? Would that make a difference?

I’m not sure.

I’m not sure because with a lot of what I write it’s art imitating life. And for the most part, life is unfinished. There are no answers. The progression of the plot would be wishful thinking.

Ultimately disappointing.

Because life does not end up like it does in the fairy tales.

No comments: