Monday, March 14, 2011

Romance 101


If you ask a hundred people this question, you will get 100 different answers. So... I decided my best chance at understnding the true meaning behind this elusive "thing" called romance was to look it up in the dictionary.

First, "romance" can be used as an adjective, noun, verb.

Interesting...

As an adjective, "romance" means: of, relating to, or being any of the languages developed from Latin (as Italian, French, and Spanish).

So... when she says she wants a little "romance" I can say in my best Rico Suave voice... "tienes un sonrisa que llena mi vida de allegria..."

NICE!...

As a noun, "romance" means:

a (1) : a medieval tale based on legend, chivalric love and adventure, or the supernatural (2) : a prose narrative treating imaginary characters involved in events remote in time or place and usually heroic, adventurous, or mysterious(3) : a love story especially in the form of a novelb : a class of such literature

So... I can read a book to her...

2: something (as an extravagant story or account) that lacks basis in fact

I can tell a lie...

3: an emotional attraction or aura belonging to an especially heroic era, adventure, or activity

We can dress up in Medeival clothing?

4: love affair

I had to look this one up... it means: a lively enthusiasm

So... when she says "romance" I can tell her about my fascination with my Android Galaxy Tab! Awesome!

5capitalized : the Romance languages

So... when she says she wants "Romance" - she really wants to learn Latin, Italian or Spanish???

As a verb, romance can either be intransitive or transitive... whatever that means...

intransitive verb

1: to exaggerate or invent detail or incident


She wants me to tell her that her eyes are as blue as the ocean and her hair as golden as amber waves of grain?

2: to entertain romantic thoughts or ideas

She really just wants me to think about all the things that I've written here so far...

transitive verb

1: to try to influence or curry favor with especially by lavishing personal attention, gifts, or flattery


Maybe... just maybe... she wants me to buy her something... FINALLY something I know I can do!

So... maybe that''s where guys have gone wrong all these years... when a woman says she wants romance... she really just wants us to buy her something... I'm on my way to the store now to get buy my sweetie a #2 Pencil... I hope she likes it!

No comments: