Thursday, May 08, 2008

Hot Anger/Cold Anger

I was reading "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire and came across 2 paragraphs that made me think...

I'll share both with you, then my thought.

Tribal mothers always tell their children that there are tow kinds of anger: hot and cold. Boys and girl experience both, but as they grow up the angers separate according to the sex. Boy need hot anger to survive. They need the inclination to fight, the drive to sink the knife into the flesh, the energy and initiative of fury. It' a requirement of hunting, of defence, of pride. Maybe sex too."

"And girls need cold anger. They need the cold simmer, the ceaseless grudge, the talent to avoid forgiveness, the sidestepping of compromise. They need to know when they say something that they will never back down, ever ever. It's the compensation for a more limited scope in the world. Cross a man and you struggle, one of you wins, you adjust, you go on - or you lie there dead. Cross a woman and the universe is changed, once again, for cold anger requires an eternal vigilance in all the matters of slight and offense"

My take aways? Guys generally deal with things and get over it. Women let it simmer. Hold a grudge.

I'm not sure if this is a sexist view of the world or if there is truth in it.

I do know that I dog eared the page and keep going back to it... looking for meaning and understanding.

No comments: