Monday, May 05, 2008

Turning the tables

During my divorce I was accused of being way too nice.

One of my friends that told me this is now, herself, being too nice.

Last year she started dating this guy that since then has been proving to not be worth his weight in dog poo.

He has used her tooth brush, lied repetitively, ruined her furniture, spilled paint on her carpet, spit gum on her walls, and did I say used her tooth brush?

For some strange reason she moved him in to her place and he won't leave. Which is a great source of frustration for her.

Did I say he used her tooth brush. Regularly? And lied about using it? (That one still gets to me)

One of the things that impressed me about her was that she was always really good about expressing her feelings. But now, seams to have an inability. The up front nature that she had that I admired has mysteriously gone.

This got me thinking. When you care for someone, how hard is it to turn off the kindness.

I know for me it was shortly after I realized that my ex didn't want to treat things with the divorce in a fair and equitable way (Check the blog archives people... check the archives...)

Is there a reality check that must occur before you turn the tables or is it possible to consistently keep things in balance?

That's my hope. If/When I start dating again... keep things in balance.

No comments: