Friday, February 04, 2011

Intimacy

According to Websters dictionary

Definition of INTIMACY

1
: the state of being intimate : familiarity
2
: something of a personal or private nature


But... in our society, you would think that intimacy means

Definition of SEXUALITY

: the quality or state of being sexual:a : the condition of having sexb : sexual activityc : expression of sexual receptivity or interest especially when excessive


There is a distinct difference between the two. So... why am I on this rant so early in the morning? I am currently in a long distance relationship and I realize that I am not the sole source of knowledge, so I apply research. I try to find the best practices that exist and borrow from them where applicable. Most of the ideas that they had were based on being sexual and not building the things that endure in the relationship...

Although there is a physical and sexual component to a relationship, there is also:

  • Spiritual
  • Emotional
  • Intellectual
  • Social
  • Affectional
  • Aesthetic
If our society only concentrates on 2 of the aspects, it's no wonder we're in the state that we're in.

Although the distance is tough, I am glad that I'm getting to know her in every dimension. It's a powerful thing...

No comments: