Thursday, February 03, 2011

Who is in your inner circle? What criteria do you have to make sure that those that are in your inner circle possess the values that you value most? I think, a lot of times, we surround ourselves with people who just want to hang out with us and not with people that we want to be like.

Did you catch that?

We let our circle choose us, we don't choose our circle!

I have a few people that have been in my inner circle for a while. A few people have wondered into my inner circle without ever knowing that they were there or understanding what got them there. For me, the qualities that are most important and endearing to me are:

  • Tough Love
  • Truth-telling
  • Humility
I admit it... there are times when I need a swift kick in the a... behind. I have had people risk our friendship to tell me that I was off course. That's how you truly know if someone cares for you. 

The world is full of people that will give you sympathy, a pat on the back, an encouraging word... Trust me, I'm not saying those are bad traits. I've been known to be a cheerleader in the life of my friends on a regular basis.

But there are also times when I just have to go for it... and let them know that the course of action that they're taking will cause them heartache, pain, suffering... It's always gut check time when I do that too... There's a risk in whether or not it's received.

But... that's what true friendship is about. Caring for the other person to be willing to risk it.

I am thankful for those people in my life that care enough for me to not try to make it right but are willing to say "suck it up, pumpkin... do what's right."

No comments: