Saturday, October 27, 2007

Rocky Horror Picture SHow

If you have never seen an audience participation version of the Rocky Horror Picture Show... you don't know what your missing.

I had the opportunity to go last night at the prestigious Alabama Theatre. This is one of like 10 remaining old time theatres with the great vaulted ceilings, 3 tiers of seating, a might Wurlitzer pipe organ that gets played before shows and during intermissions.

It's a great venue. The place where I saw my first Humphrey Bogart flick.

I was surprised that they allowed what went on there to go on.
RHPS is a cult classic. While the film goes on, actors are on stage acting out the performance.

Which, in itself is pretty cool.

The surprising part is the audience participation.

At the beginning of the movie, there's a wedding scene... where the audience throws RICE... a LOT of rice... a TON of rice.

There's the rain scene... where believe me, you'll feel like you've been in a storm.

There are places that you can go on the web in order to see all the bits. I'm not going to be responsible for spoiling it for you. But at the end, the seats in the middle of the theatre were covered with at least 3 feet of... oh, let's just call them props.

Excellent experience.

I went with Jimmy who will dress up for any event... (Harry Potter as Bellatrix, Korn as... well, guess you had to be there...)

Halloween? The Mad Hatter.

I actually attempted to dress up. I was going to go as a Dr... of sorts, but ended up looking like the love child of Boy George and Rick James.

Over all... a boat load of fun... new annual thing...


Need to start working out for next years costume now... where can I buy a corsette?


No comments: