Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas...

Christmas comes but once a year... thank goodness!

There are a lot of things that I really hate about this time of year... like the commercialization, the greed, the over indulgence. It really takes something that should be a beautiful time to think about others and turns it so... inward.

I was talking with this one person that bought over 250 presents for his grandchild.

That's not even practical!

Anyway, Christmas time has been hard for me over the past few years. It's been 5 years since we filed for divorce and 3 years of singleness. I've opted to spend almost every Christmas alone with the exception of the time when I was "dating" and the person that I was with didn't want to spend time with their family.

My choice to spend time away from my family is my choice. It's my time to center and figure out what adjustments need to be done in the new year. It's a completely different thing when you just don't think your family understands you... my family would really rather have me there.

Anyway...

This was a good Christmas.

Lisa was in NC and I was in Alabama... My sons came over for a while, and we had great fellowship together. Lisa and I had the chance to talk via skype, telephone, text... she said the sweetest thing...

"This is the last holiday I want to spend away from you... it felt like a part of me was missing..."

This is interesting.

I know... in the past I've talked a lot about running from women that weren't "complete" that needed me to "complete" them.

This is different. Lisa is a whole person. I am a whole person now due to all of the struggles that you can read about in my blog. We augment each other.

It's nice to not have to carry a relationship. It's good that there is balance.

Although we were miles apart, knowing that she was there made this one of my favorite Christmases ever.


No comments: