Wednesday, December 08, 2010

This is too easy...


Lisa and I send affirmations to each other. It keeps us on the same page. It sets a vision. It inspires.

This affirmation was shared today:

We have a consistent saying... "you make it easy."

It makes me smile when those words are uttered. It's an awesome thing to be in a relationship that is like-minded. But then... my mind drifted to our conversation last night when we were talking about X and her beau. You made the statement that "he may have gotten complacent with their current situation..."

Complacency can be a killer in a relationship. It's that point where self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies takes place. It's that point where people begin to take things for granted and as a result, treat things carelessly or casually.

My mind drifted to

Matthew 11:29-30 (New Living Translation)
29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and
gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke
is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”

The yoke, is an instrument of burden. I actually looked this word up and found something interesting. A yoke is placed on TWO animals joining them together when they work together. (I think a lot of times when we read this, we think that it's solely our responsibility, but from the beginning - even before the indwelling of the Holy Spirit God helped us understand the partnership that he has with man to help us achieve what he has in store for us.)

In this process of yoking, he says... let me teach you. He's there to help us with the heavy lifting and doesn't try to move us too fast or on a terrain that we're not able to handle. Even though he is able to do it, his humbleness and gentleness abound. Our burden is light because of his heavy lifting.

I think what we have is easy not because we make it easy ourselves, but because each of us has determined that we aren't going to yoke together to try and make things work, but because we have yoked up with Jesus and we're both working n the same field... towards a common plan.

It's my sincere prayer that we continue to learn from God, keep humility and gentleness at the center of what we have, and not get complacent. The fact that we're yoked with Christ doesn't mean that we
don't do any work... it just means that it's appropriate work for where we are.

I love you because you're willing to chase God before chasing me!


1 comment:

Scarlet said...

Isn't it great when you can be with someone who makes it easy? You can simply be yourself.