Friday, January 07, 2011

Being an extreme minority...

It's 2011... in this day and age, many people don't think in terms of race or color. I spend most of my life no thinking about it either. I have spent my entire life trying to "integrate" and live my life as a part of the larger community and not try to isolate myself to just stay/associate with people in my own race.

But... there are problems that arise... like this picture for example... this picture was taken when I was in 5th grade. Our class raised $300 for the Erie Canal Village and we were presenting our earnings to the Mayor. What a cool photo op. I was randomly selected to be our classes representative.

One question... why is the black kid so far away from the money???

It's small things like this that toy with my vision of a utopia where there is 100% inclusion.

Why am I writing about this? 

I am on a new project at work where I am the new guy. I am completely beholden to everyone on the team to learn about what we do. This is particularly true because I sit away from the core team in an office where I am one of two people... and I'm usually the only person that's in the office. It makes it hard to accomplish things because there is no unique way to get the information that you don't know.

I don't have an intrinsic community where I can safely go to in order to get respite. I kind of feel like I have to figure things out on my own and that my success rests solely in my hands and I don't have the tools necessary to help me accomplish this.

One of the things that I plan on doing is talking with my management team about going to another environment where I can more comfortable obtain the support that I need.

The question is... how do you approach this?

No comments: