Friday, March 21, 2008

I am an idealist too...



All photos copy write and credited to my Dad

When I look at these pictures, many taken in the 1950’s, I see something amazing. I see blacks and whites together in a time where in America there were still segregated. These pictures were before the time of Civil Rights – during the Korean War.

What I see is blacks and whites together – working, socializing – more concerned with helping each other survive from day to day than wondering what the people at home would think about them spending time with someone of a different color.

Collectively, we have a lot of serious issues that face us all. Serious issues.

Personally, I struggle with fitting in. I write about it. A lot. But it doesn’t hamper my efforts to fit in. I still put myself out there regularly.

Maybe I’m the exception to the rule. Maybe I’m an idealist.

But being an idealist is what helped us get to the moon, design nifty digital watches, laptop computers and nifty telephones that help us all stay connected in a virtual world.


But most importantly, ideas are what caused us to start this "great experiment called democracy."
So, I guess what I'm trying to say is - think outside the box. Don't get caught up with what's on the surface level. Formulate your own opinions. Question what everyone one says. Think. And most importantly talk... and listen.

No comments: