Friday, March 28, 2008

Me at 5,000 feet.



I think, or at least I think that we all have voices in our heads that speak to us. For some people they speak affirmations. For others - the voices haunt them.


For me? The voices in the past rather negative. My affirmations had to be conscious - an act of will - and I actually speak them aloud.


One of the reasons why I drove myself to accomplish is - the reason why I choose new hobbies is to remind myself that I could.


As I whispered the things that I've done that day into the wind I stood a little taller a little stronger.


In all honesty, even if I didn't accomplish things I would still be fine. Because despite everything, I actually like the person I am. And that's a mighty powerful thing.
Even though I like me and get a feeling of self-satisfaction when I learned something new or completed a project that I'm working on, I am equally as happy when I have someone to "do life with."
The odd thing is, when I'm in a healthy relationship - the voices aren't there. I think it's the acceptance and validations of another human being that does a world of good. Interestingly enough, I think I'm ready to date. I can't say the same thing about me a year ago... but now? I think I am ready to find her. Not a relationship out of need to not be alone or to demonstrate that I have value or worth. I know this because I am not saying yes to just anyone that says just because they're interested.
Anyway, I know that I'm growing because the negative voices are gone. Now, I hear music again. Original compositions - great symphonies, jazz, rock and neo-soul. Now, I have grand ideas again.
Who am I? I am a person that, despite everything, is genuinely comfortable in his own skin. I know how to be me regardless of the situation and circumstances.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great! Well done. I'm glad you like yourself. You are a very likeable man from what I've read. :)