Tuesday, March 25, 2008

In search of a bright idea...


Is that the flash of a camera or a bright idea popping out of my head?

When I was working for AT&T they used to have these cultural awareness meetings. One of the things that we discussed was talk about how people from different cultures solve problems.

There are some cultures where people brainstorm. Get into a room and scream and yell at each other. The synergy helps them solidify their ideas.

Others... tend to want to go away. Formulate their ideas, then come back and discuss their findings.

I - tend to like to steal away in order to formulate my thought. It's in solitude that things snap sharply into focus.

When I as married I used to enjoy the times when my ex would go out with the boys. I would walk through the house... in the solitude listening to the silence. When everyone returned I had clear vision. How to help the boys with school or problems that they were facing. I would have ideas to discuss regarding issues in the marriage.

Although I enjoy collaborating with people on creative endeavors and long to be with others and have meaningful friendships I also need to balance that with quiet time.

No comments: