Tuesday, March 04, 2008

So... this is what the world is like???


I have a friend that is a local celebrity. Whenever people talk about her they always use her first and last name. She can't just be first_name. She is always the compound name.

That's one of the reasons why I initially retreated from the world. When I was fast tracked and making my way up the corporate ladder, there were people that were interested in me for what I could do for them and not in me as an individual.

I even talk about my former marriage in that way. Utilitarian. Not really relationship based.

I used to hold these weekly jam sessions in my studio with other musicians. The object was to work on enjoy something that we all enjoy. Playing good music. But that would always degrade because people were far too interested in their own projects instead of coming together as a group.

I've gone to support group meetings with friends of mine. Al-anon, Narc-Anon... whatever, just to be supportive. One of the things that always amazed me was how they always introduced themselves before they said something - "My name is blah-blah, and I'm an [insert addiction here]." Everyone greets them by their name and listens intently. Almost as if they care. And I'm sure they do. After the meeting, they embrace each other... talk.
I think it's because they realize that they share something together that bonds them on a level that fosters openness and honesty, which is the foundation of all friendships and relationships.
So, today - I leave you with this welcome message.
Hi, my name is Dwane, I'm a human being.

No comments: