Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Welcome to the family...


Jr. High was interesting in that it was a little more diverse than elementary school. There were 2 black kids in my elementary school... there were at least a dozen at this school.
I remember how they welcomed me.
There was a dance coming up. One day after school a couple of black kids cornered me in the hallway. William C. hit my below the belt, grabbed me by the throat choking me and said...
"You are taking my sister to the dance... aren't you?"
The answer of course... was no.
Not because of the violent afront, but because I wasn't allowed to go.
Even so... based on principle alone I wouldn't have gone with her... but that was my welcome into the family so to speak.
I was disappointed then... but that was a feeling that I was used to by now.
Looking back on it now, I guess I should be flattered. Flattered that Doris C. noticed me. That I was a part of a conversation between her and her brother that inspired such an action. I am sure he was only trying to make her happy.

No comments: