Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Curveballs from the Universe


Jimi Hendrix sings this song that's been on my mind. Well, not so much the song, but a single lyric:

Now if a 6... turned out to be a 9...
I had one of those experiences over the last few weeks and it radically changed my view of the world.
Over the past week I was talking with friends of mine - a really out going pastor, a really attractive blonde woman, the in crowd at a local pub...
I found out some really interesting things.
Everyone is insecure and worries if people will like them.
Huh... wha? You? But people flock to you... - that was my first reaction, but I sat there and listened and found this common theme among all of them.
That's why some drink - it's a social lubricant to help their anxiety.
That's why some make people laugh.
That's why some people are good listeners.
That's why some people are willing to help.
That's why some people organize activities.
That's why this list could go on and on.
They like to keep things on the surface level - and that's the unwritten social contract.
People like me are the exception to the rule.
When I talk to people like me who want deep relationships we all say the same thing. It's frustrating because people like to keep things at the surface level and we have problems with people who can't jump headlong into the cracks and fissures that make us who we are.
Interesting. To me, at least.
So... I'm learning to be more surface level - and at the same time sharing with others how to go deeper.
This is one curveball I'm learning how to hit.

3 comments:

G said...

I guess we're all finding our way, or trying to. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

Life... is for the living... said...

Thank you. What I can say is that blogging has helped me find my way.

When I first started writing I was honestly lost. It helped to get things out there - see what made sense and what didn't.

Thanks for your encouragement.

G said...

I think writing things down always helps. I admire you for talking openly the way you have here.

My blog is fairly impersonal BUT... I keep a very personal, ongoing letter to someone I loved a long time ago, who I might never see again. It feels amazing to write those things down, aimed at that one person to read, who most likely never will.