Thursday, April 10, 2008

Dealing with aging...

My Dad has always been this larger than life person to me. Although he only stands 5'2" tall - he has always been this guy that could do anything.

I remember him at 66 years old going to the golf course and out playing hotshot golfers in their 20's and 30's.

I remember him being able to run faster, jump higher, fix anything, solve any problem.

Until January of this year.

January of this year his lung/throat cancer treatments got the best of him. He's in remission now, but it was at a great price.

For the last 4 months he has been in hospitals and a rehab facility recovering.

He has gets tired while sitting up, he doesn't walk very far, he spends a lot of time in bed - and although he's at home, there are instances when he believes he's still in the hospital.

For the next 3 weeks - I'm going to be with my parents helping with his transition home.

I can say, dealing with my issues was easy... this is going to be the hardest thing that I've done in the last year... maybe my entire life.

1 comment:

G said...

Another hurdle most of us have to face: the aging of our parents and their growing vulnerability.

They have you to help them, which is wonderful. You have each other. HUGS to you all.